Why You Should Ditch Rawhide and Switch to No-Hide Chews
Ditch the Rawhide
As dog parents, it’s our responsibility to make sure our pup is happy and healthy. We all love watching our dogs enjoy their favorite treat and playing with their favorite toys, but did you know that two of the most common treats for your dog can be harmful to them? We’re referring to rawhide bones and chews.
What is Rawhide?
As a dog owner, you may be wondering what Rawhide is and why it is so bad for your dog? Rawhide stems from the leather industry, which as it sounds, is not a food related industry. It’s made from the inner layer of skin which is considered a waste layer that is not usable for leather goods, such as shoes and handbags. Once this skin is removed is then soaked in harsh chemicals, and preservatives, artificial flavor, and finally, dyes are added. This is how the typical rawhide bone is made and the one you see on a lot of stores shelves. After knowing the origins of Rawhide, this overprocessed treat for your pup may not sound so tasty after all, but the reasons Rawhide should be avoided don’t end there.
Here are 3 main reasons you should be choosing No-Hide alternatives over Rawhide.
- The chemicals used to make Rawhide are not pup-safe
- The process used to make Rawhide chews uses countless chemicals, artificial flavors, dyes, and bleaches that can be harmful to your dog. Most Rawhide chews are also not made in the USA which means that the process is not held to the same standard as production facilities regulated by U.S. policies. The extensive amount of chemicals is also extremely unsafe for growing puppies since their kidneys are still in the early development stages and may not be able to process the chemicals the same way an adult dog can.
- Rawhide isn’t digestible.
- Rawhide does not break down in your dog’s digestive system, but rather it causes its stomach to swell. This means that your dog is forced to chew the Rawhide until it breaks down into smaller pieces that may damage their digestive tracts. Damage to a dog’s bowel walls can have devastating consequences. Symptoms of a bowel obstruction include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, straining or inability to poop, restlessness, lack of energy, and irritation to their abdomen. If a bowel obstruction is not detected early enough, your dog may become septic, and death is possible. That is why it is incredibly important to watch what your dog is eating and look out for signs of an obstruction.
- Choking is a concern
- As a dog chews on a Rawhide bone or treat, the Rawhide will break off into smaller pieces. Sometimes those pieces may be too big to move down a dog’s esophagus easily. Therefore, choking is a huge concern when it comes to giving your dog Rawhide chews and bones. Choking can block the passage of air through the dog’s esophagus and can ultimately lead to death. Even if your dog is chewing on a Rawhide bone that is small enough, those small pieces can still block or tear at the esophagus.
The benefits of Rawhide alternatives
Using a Rawhide alternative can reduce the stress you face as a fur parent. Rawhide alternatives like Earth Animals No-Hide are free from chemicals, bleaches, additives, and formaldehydes. Earth Animal No-Hides are made of six ingredients that are great for your pup and one sustainably sourced protein to provide your dog with unmatched flavor.
Why The Dog Stop chooses No-Hide over Rawhide
At The Dog Stop, we care about your dog and the quality of their health. Our locations only carry 4-star and above products that promote values and ingredients that we believe are the best options for your dog. Due to their harmful ingredients and their inability to be digested, we avoid carrying Rawhide products and instead promote using Rawhide alternatives such as Earth Animals No-Hide.
For more information on our retail selection, click here to find your Stop!